1948: More Outstations are created after the formation of the Radio
In 1948, the Radio Research Station became the Radio Research
Organisation, under the directorship of R.L. Smith-Rose. Although a number of
outstations already existed, more were now formed.
- The Burghead ionosonde station (1941 - 1947) was replaced by one at
Fraserburgh which was eventually moved to Inverness (1948-1963).
- The Port Stanley ionosonde (1945-) was taken over by the RRS from
- The Singapore ionosonde (1948 - 1971) made measurements of the
- In 1948, an Ionosonde in Port Lockroy (Grahamland) made the first
ionospheric measurements in Antarctica
- There were many other sites, mostly near Slough that were used