WDC > Data > Ionospheric > Prompt > Database > Help
Prompt Ionospheric Database - Information
This service gives access to a collection of raw data files gathered from
ionosondes, mostly in Europe, and is being developed as part of the UK
contribution to the COST-271 action
Effects of the Upper Atmosphere on Terrestrial and Earth-Space
Communications. If you are new to ionospheric sounding, basic
ionosonde theory and
The data can be queried and displayed in several ways, so that you can
- View data availability
- Display a table of auto-scaled parameters
- Plot selected auto-scaled parameters
- Carry out a true-height analysis (using POLAN with certain default options)
- Download raw data files for use with SAO-Explorer.
To query the database you must specify the following:
In the event of there being a problem with a query and explanatory message
will be displayed in the 'Status' panel.
- The station(s) for which to retrieve data.
- These are shown in a selection list. Stations can be selected and
deselected directly from this list or by clicking on the marked stations on the
map of Europe, where a click toggles the selection status of the relevant
station. It is also possible to select or deselect all stations with the
- A date/time range
- This is specified by giving a full date and time specification
(Year,Month,Day,Hour,Minute,Seconds) for the start and end of the time
range. The date can be reset to today, and moved back or forward by a day at a
time using the appropriate buttons.
- The result type
- There are currently five types of result that can be displayed, as listed
above in the description of the Facilities. It is hoped to add a quick-look
facility for ionograms in the future.
- The sort order
- Results can be sorted by station or by time.
- The destination
- Results can either be displayed directly in the browser, or they can be
saved to a disk file for later retrieval by FTP. In the latter case the URL
from which the data can be retrieved is displayed when the query has completed.
- Certain stations impose a time delay on making data accessible.
Currently this is Tromso (1 day delay for all users).
- Parameter plots always show the parameters foF2, foE and fmin. It is
intended to make the plotting facility more generic in future.
- A 'File download' result may not have the Browser as its destination, but
must always be saved to a file for retrieval by FTP. All other result types
can be sent to either destination.